4 Seasons Home Inspection, LLC

TOLL FREE: (877) 547-7383

 
4 Seasons Home Inspection, LLC

 
Linda S. Geczi, MS, ENG.
Home Inspector
LIC. #24GI00061500




Mold Frequently Asked Questions

Why is mold growing in my home?

Molds are part of the natural environment. Outdoors, molds play a part in nature by breaking down dead organic matter such as fallen leaves and dead trees, but indoors, mold growth should be avoided. Molds reproduce by means of tiny spores; the spores are invisible to the naked eye and float through outdoor and indoor air. Mold may begin growing indoors when mold spores land on surfaces that are wet. There are many types of mold, and none of them will grow without water or moisture.

Can mold cause health problems?


Molds are usually not  a problem indoors, unless mold spores land on a wet or damp spot and begin growing. Molds have the potential to cause health problems. Molds produce allergens, irritants, and in some cases, potentially highly toxic substances.
Allergic reactions to mold are common and include hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash. Molds can also cause asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic to mold.

How do I get rid of mold?

It is impossible to get rid of all mold and its spores indoors, but indoor mold growth can be controlled by controlling moisture indoors. If there is mold growth in your home, you must fix the water problem and the mold must be cleaned  by qualified professionals. If you clean up the mold, but do not eradicate the water problem, the mold problem will return. Use of dehumidifiers can help control moisture.  Maintaining and cleaning exterior gutters, extending rain leaders and observing proper grading can help water drain away from foundation.

Who should do the cleanup?

If mold is suspected, typically air or swab samples are recommended by certified mold technician.  Only lab testing can positively identify the mold and its potential health hazards.

You should choose to hire a contractor (or other professional service provider) to do the cleanup, and make sure the contractor is certified in that field of expertise. Check references and ask the contractor to follow the recommendations in State or Federal EPA's Mold Remediation in Schools and Commercial Buildings, or the guidelines of the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists.

If you suspect that the heating/ventilation/air conditioning (HVAC) system may be contaminated with mold, consult the EPA's Should You Have the Air Ducts in Your Home Cleaned Professionally? Never turn on the HVAC system if it has been poorly maintained or if you know or suspect that it is contaminated with mold” - it could spread mold throughout your home. Ductwork should be cleaned or mitigated professionally.

If the water and/or mold damage was caused by sewage or other contaminated water, then call in a health professional and or specialized cleaning service provider who has qualified experience cleaning and remediating buildings damaged by contaminated water.

If you have health concerns, always consult a health professional or family doctor for health screening exam. It is not recommended to clean mold yourself unless you are a qualified service provider or technician.  The best prevention against mold is to maintain your house and HVAC systems properly to avoid unwanted water or moisture conditions that may contribute to mold growth.

For more information, read the EPA's A Brief Guide to Mold, Moisture, and Your Home.

The above information is provided as a public service by the Environmental Protection Agency for educational purposes.